Brexit and driving: What you should know about driving in Europe after Brexit

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

As of January 31, 2020, the UK has left the European Union. But the UK is currently in a transition period until January 2021, and a number of rules are likely to change after this date – including the rules on driving abroad.

Will rules on driving abroad change after Brexit?

The terms of the UK’s withdrawal from Europe are still being negotiated.

Therefore it is not yet known exactly how rules on driving in the EU will change in the future.

After January 1, 2021, the current rules surrounding driving abroad may change, but in the meantime the current Government guidance on the subject is available via its website.

What are the current rules on driving abroad?

The COVID-19 pandemic is currently affecting travel restrictions across the world.

So if you are planning a trip abroad, you should consult the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advice beforehand.

A number of countries are currently included on the FCO’s exemption list, meaning you do not have to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival back in the UK after visiting.

But for many countries, the FCO advice is to avoid all non-essential travel.

You should also check the entry requirements of the country you are planning to visit beforehand as well.

According to the current Government guidance on driving abroad, you need to make sure you have the correct documentation to be able to drive abroad.

Classic car drivers urged to pack these parts before journeys [ANALYSIS]
Many drivers break rules ‘without being aware’ [REPORT]
Driving in Europe holidays could see motorists caught out with this [INSIGHT]

As part of this, you need to take your driving licence with you.

If you are taking your own vehicle, you also need to take your log book (V5C) and your insurance certificate.

According to the Government website, you do not need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in any EU and EEA country or Switzerland, for visits of up to 12 months.

To drive in some non-EU countries you may however need an International Driving Permit, which you can get from the Post Office.

While abroad, you must follow the local driving rules of where you are visiting, including abiding by local speed limits and drink driving laws.

The Government note you may also be required to have additional equipment with you, such as reflective jackets, warning triangles, emission stickers, headlight converter stickers or a GB sticker.

You also should check your insurance if you are taking your own vehicle.

For more information on driving abroad, you can visit the Government’s dedicated webpage on the topic HERE. 

Source: Read Full Article