MG Hector ownership review after completing 20,000 km in a year
Driving in moderate to heavy traffic in the city with speeds of up to 60 km/h, you can expect to get a fuel efficiency of 9-10 km/l.
BHPian Sm00 recently shared this with other enthusiasts.
Hello, fellow BHPians
I purchased an MG Hector Sharp CVT in July 2021 (driven 20000 km since purchase) as a replacement for my MG Hector Sharp Hybrid that I had since 2020. In this review, I’ll mainly focus on the long-term ownership experience of the car.
- The build quality of the exterior sheet is good with no paint fading, and no rusting so far.
- Goodyear tires are also good, they offer a nice grip.
- The white interior is difficult to maintain, and stains are not easily removed.
- Plastics make a bit of rattling noise when the car is started or driven over rough patches, although it settles quickly.
- AC is decent, not the best, wireless charging is just a gimmick, it works only 50% of the time.
- Engine is silent but tire noise penetrates into the cabin.
Entertainment and convenience
- Infotainment screen went completely blank within 2 weeks of purchase. It was replaced for free under warranty by MG. Please note the cost of the Infotainment system + wiring is Rs 80000.
- Electric seats are good.
- Electric tailgate also functions well, no problem there.
- The speakers are by far the best ones as per my experience.
- 360-deg camera could have been better. It is pixelated and laggy, one can just take an idea of what is around, but can’t rely on and judge the distance.
- Ambient lights give a premium feel.
- Voice commands work 70% of the time.
- Ventilated seats are just a gimmick. I haven’t used them much.
I would like to tell you that this car has great handling. I just had a near miss from a fatal accident, all thanks to its handling. A car just stopped suddenly in front of my car. At that point, the speed of my car was 80km/hr. I reflexly turned the steering wheel immediately to the left to avoid the collision. At this moment, the car skidded a bit, and came to the adjacent lane, after which I was immediately able to take back control of the vehicle. Superb E.S.P.
- The steering is very light yet provides good feedback at the same time. The play in the steering is minimal which is a really very good thing.
- The suspension setup is soft, i.e., most of the bumps are absorbed by the suspension. I like the setup as it’s really comfortable.
- The power feels just adequate to pull the car, not made for pushing the pedal to the metal. Overtakes are easy.
- The CVT transmission is not the best, but it does the job fine. Sports mode definitely gives a kick-in-the-pants feel.
- Information like Avg fuel economy and digital speed is not shown on the MID, which is a major miss.
- The EPB and auto hold feature work flawlessly and are a boon to have in traffic.
- The headlights are shiny and bright on looking from the outside but the throw on the ground is average.
My daily driving is about 100 km, 65 km in the city, and 35 on the highway. I drive in ECO mode with the blower speed set at 4, temp 20°C, throttle input medium to hard, without using cruise control.
- I drive between 90 to 110km/hr and the car returns about 11-12 kmpl.
- In winters with the AC switched off, it returns about 13-14 kmpl.
- If driven gently up to 80 km/hr, can return 15-16 kmpl.
- In purely city driving, with a max speed of 60 km/hr and moderate to heavy traffic, expect 9-10 kmpl.
Service (own AMC package)
- The service is average, though the support team is good.
- First 3 services didn’t cost anything.
- The 4th service/20000km service cost me around Rs 7241 including the voluntary optional drycleaning that I chose – Rs 2200.
- I think the MG Hector is a good car, combining great features with superior ride quality, great handling, and easy to use and easy to maintain.
- It is the most V.F.M option in its segment.
- It is well suited for those who have to travel long distances or those who like to show off party features.
Check out BHPian comments for more insights and information.
Source: Read Full Article