2022 Annual Sales Report – Superbikes & imported motorcycles
Kawasaki Z900 is, once again, India’s highest-selling premium motorcycle with 562 units dispatched in 2022.
BHPian CrAzY dRiVeR recently shared this with other enthusiasts.
The low-volume market for Superbikes and Imports in the country doesn’t allow for a meaningful monthly analysis of their sales data. However, the same over a longer period of a full year makes for a healthy discussion – and with that goal in mind, below is the 2022 Annual report and analysis of the premium two-wheeler market in India.
3739 premium motorcycles were dispatched in the year 2022. The market, saw a minor 1.8% increase in dispatches compared to 2021, with all the brands enjoying higher dispatches, except for the segment leader – Kawasaki.
- All data has been compiled from the data presented by Auto Punditz.
- These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
- Manufacturers like BMW Motorrad, Ducati, Benelli etc are not included because the data is not available.
- 2018 report can be seen here
- 2019 report can be seen here
- 2020 report can be seen here
- 2021 report can be seen here
- Click any picture to open a larger higher-resolution version in a new window/tab.
India’s favourite premium bikes by sales volume
- An all-Japanese lineup for the top 5!
- Kawasaki Z900 is (once again!) India’s highest-selling premium motorcycle with 562 units dispatched in 2022.
- We have the 650R twins from Honda for second place – 260 units for both the Honda machines, with a split-up for the CB650R and CBR650R not provided.
- Suzuki’s all-time favourite hyperbike – the 3rd generation Hayabusa climbs even further up the ladder to 3rd place – dispatching 250 units.
- Two Kawasaki 650 machines take up the 4th and 5th places. The Versys 650 has always been a popular machine, but the recent facelift seems to have given a big boost in sales – coming in for the first time in the top 5, dispatching 212 units.
- Ninja 650 falls down the sales ladder, thanks to sibling rivalry and ends up in 5th place with an identical 212 units.
Manufacturer Market Share and Trends
- Kawasaki diverted numbers from the Ninja 650 to the Ninja 400 – their loss! Everyone else seems to have increased their number YOY, even Harley Davidson under Hero Motocorp distributorship.
- Kawasaki is still the dominant player in 2022 with a 42% market share.
- Triumph managed to beat last year’s dispatches with just 1 more unit! Comes in at second with the maximum entries in the Top 20. Ends up with 30% of the market.
- Honda had their best year yet – backed once again by strong sales of the 650R twins. Ends up with a 9% market share.
- Suzuki can do no wrong with the Hayabusa, even if they botched up the VStrom 650 and Katana pricing. Ends the year with 9% market share.
- Aprilia has a niche presence in the market – which is still heartening to see, as compared to Yamaha!
Premium Motorcycle Sales 2022 – Sorted by price
The below graph gives a clear picture of which products have really caught the fascination of the market, at various price points.
Note – The leftmost product is 6.4L ex-showroom, whereas the rightmost product is 40.04L ex-showroom.
- Kawasaki Z900 is once again in first place with sheer numbers, selling 562 units of a 9.02L motorcycle.
- Suzuki Hayabusa comes second, selling 250 units of a motorcycle that retails at 16.41 lakhs.
- Kawasaki ZX10R remains the only VFM litre-class superbike option, even with the recently facelifted model priced at 16.15 lakhs – dispatching 195 units.
- Triumph Tiger 900 range starts at 13.7 lakhs and with 181 units dispatched – comes in at 4th place.
- Honda 650R twins come in at 5th place – retailing 260 units of a 9.34L motorcycle.
- Other noteworthy entries include Kawasaki Ninja 1000, Kawasaki Versys 650, Triumph Trident 660, Triumph Tiger Sport 660, and Harley Davidson Pan America
- Kawasaki lost ~6% sales compared to 2021, all thanks to the loss of numbers from the Ninja 650 to the Ninja 400. But still remains the market leader with a market share of 42% in 2022.
- The value-priced Z900 brings home the maximum numbers for Kawasaki – with 562 units.
- ZX10R remains the VFM and popular litre-class superbike option – with dispatches of 195 units.
- Ninja 650 and Versys 650 with 212 units each – bring healthy numbers for the Kawasaki 650 range.
- The other 650s have paled in comparison – Vulcan S with 68 units, Z650 with 47 units and Z650RS with 62 units. In total – the 650 range brought in 601 units for Kawasaki.
- Ninja 1000 sales are down compared to last year, possibly after the price increase on the face-lifted SX version – but still bring in 179 units.
- Triumph managed to hold on to their excellent performance of 2021 (where they achieved a 70% YOY!) – with a 30% market share. One unit dispatched more than in 2021!
- Tiger 900 brought in the maximum money with 181 units dispatched, whereas the Trident 660 brought in the maximum numbers for Triumph with 208 units dispatched.
- Tiger Sport 660 did not get a full-year run but looks all set to be their best seller – with 171 units dispatched over 10 months. In fact, counting only those 10 months on sale – it has in fact managed to outsell the Trident.
- The new Tiger 1200 has been well received as well – dispatching 70 units in around 9 months.
- Hero Motocorp (the India distributor for Harley Davidson) managed to increase dispatches by 7.36% YOY. Quite a feat, considering all the negative sentiment after Harley’s exit. Many don’t even know they are still around!
- Not the leader it once was, but Harley still manages to close the year in 3rd place, with 10% market share.
- Even more surprises in store – there is a new Harley favourite in town, and it is not even a cruiser! Pan America (ADV) sees maximum dispatches for Harley with 73 units.
- Fatbob and Fatboy remain the market favourite cruisers – with 71 and 69 units dispatched, respectively.
Continue reading CrAzY dRiVeR’s sales report for BHPian comments, insights and more information.
Source: Read Full Article